SYDNEY, NEW SOUTH WALES - FEBRUARY 25: Adrian Mierzejewski of Sydney FC celebrates scoring a goal during the round 21 A-League match between Sydney FC and the Western Sydney Wanderers at Allianz Stadium on February 25, 2018 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

After the round, Sydney remain 11 points clear at the top of the table, while Newcastle extended their lead ahead of 3rd place City to eight points. The battle for 3rd place looks like it’ll go down to the end of the season, as City sit four points clear of 4th and 5th place Melbourne Victory and Adelaide United.

The Wanderers remain four points clear of Brisbane Roar, but now must fend off Perth in the battle for the finals, after Perth put themselves four points behind Western Sydney with six games remaining in the season.

Central Coast 1 – 0 Wellington Phoenix 

Central Coast have finally snapped a 11-game winless run with a gallant and well deserved victory over bottom placed Wellington Phoenix. In-form attacking midfielder Daniel De Silva didn’t do his World Cup chances any harm, scoring the decisive goal moments before the half time break.

A late charge from the Phoenix saw a Roy Krishna strike hit the bar, but that was all the Phoenix could muster up in a very disappointing effort in Gosford on Friday night.

Brisbane Roar 0 – 1 Newcastle Jets 

Newcastle continue to surpass expectations this season, as a late Joey Champness strike helped Newcastle defeat Brisbane on Saturday.

In very difficult, humid conditions, both keepers were pulling out all stops to defy the opposition, but it was a former Brisbane Roar youth product that separated the teams in the end of the day.

In what was a positive for the Roar as they continue to push back into the finals positions, fan favourite Henrique showed glimpses of his best in a 20-minute cameo.

Melbourne Victory 3 – 0 Adelaide United

Melbourne Victory showed glimpses of a return to their clinical best, as they defeated a 10-man Adelaide United 3-0 on Saturday night. Two first half goals to the Victory laid the platform to the demolition of their cross-state rivals. A Taylor Regan own goal opened the scoring, while Leroy George netted a stunning free kick to make it 2-0.

With half-time substitute Džengis Čavušević seeing red just nine minutes into the half, Bersart Berisha scored four minutes later to put the result beyond doubt.

Perth Glory 2 – 1 Melbourne City 

Perth Glory scored a 97th minute winner to defeat a 10-man Melbourne City outfit in an entertaining match at NIB stadium.

After star defender Bart Schenkeveld was dismissed for a second yellow with 25 minutes to play, City tried desperately to hold onto a 1-0 lead, thanks to a brilliant solo effort from Daniel Arzani just before half time.

Former City man Neil Kilkenny however hit the equaliser after 84 minutes, while Adam Taggart headed to winner in the 97th minute.

Sydney 3 – 1 Western Sydney Wanderers 

Sydney came from a goal down to defeat arch rivals Western Sydney in a wet encounter at Allianz Stadium.

In what is the last derby at the venue, Sydney FC looked the side they have looked all season. In another relentless display, two exceptional goals from Polish star Adrian Mierzejewski and a third from Bobo sealed Sydney’s impressive comeback win.

Earlier in the encounter, Oriol Riera scored his 6th goal in his past five games.