MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 29: Joshua Risdon of the Wanderers and Luke Pilkington of Bentleigh compete for the ball during the round of 16 FFA Cup match between Bentleigh Greens and the Western Sydney Wanderers at Kingston Heath Complex on August 29, 2017 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

Eight teams remain in the FFA Cup after the final round of 16 matches were played last night. Four NPL sides remain in the competition, alongside four A-League sides.

Melbourne Victory was the only A-League side eliminated this round.

ADELAIDE UNITED 3 - 1 Melbourne Victory

Adelaide scored three second half goals in their demolition of A-League runners up Melbourne Victory. A crowd of 3,342 watched as new signings Johan Absalonsen and Nathan Konstandopoulos scored long range stunners and George Blackwood converted a 66th minute penalty to sink the in-form Victory.

Moreton Bay United 0 - 1 GOLD COAST CITY

An extra time penalty was enough to secure Gold Coast City's passage to the quarter finals against fellow Queensland side Moreton Bay United. A clumsy challenge from Moreton Bay captain Alex Janovsky gave Gold Coast City a late penalty which Sam Smith duly converted.

City held on to advance to the FFA Cup quarter finals for the first time since 2014 when they were still known as Palm Beach. Amusingly, the game was delayed by 15 minutes as the stadium lights went out during extra time.


South Melbourne pushed its case for an A-League licence with a dominant 4-1 win over Western Australian side Sorrento FC. Sorrento was on the back foot for most of the match after Leigh Minopoulos found the back of the net after just 49 seconds.

Sorrento's job was made tougher after Sean Canham was given his marching orders on half time, two minutes after he was shown his first yellow card with the score already at 2-0. South Melbourne scored two more goals after half time and conceded a late consolation goal to book their place in the next round.

Sydney United 58 FC 1(3) - 1(4)HEIDELBERG UNITED

It took the lottery of the penalty shoot-out to separate Sydney United 58 and Heidelberg United. It was a closely fought match which neither team really deserved to lose. Sean Ellis' classy volley finally broke the deadlock in the 111th minute but it was cancelled out by Adrian Vranic with less than 90 seconds left on the clock.

In the shoot-out, Heidelberg converted all of their spot kicks while Panagiotis Nikas and missed and Yianni Fragogianni's effort was well saved by Christophe Theodoridis-Petropoulos to put the Warriors through.

Bankstown Berries 0 - 3 SYDNEY FC

Bankstown Berries were no match for their opponents, going down 3-0 to the reigning A-League champions. David Carney opened the scoring after five minutes with Brazilian forward Bobo doubling their lead at the hour mark. A late penalty for a handball was converted by Adrian Mierzejewski to give the Sky Blues a simple win and progression to the next round.


The Bentleigh Greens could not repeat their incredible 2014 FFA Cup run, suffering a heavy four goal defeat to the Western Sydney Wanderers. Robbie Cornthwaite scored a simple tap-in when the Greens were caught out by a quick free kick and Jumpei Kusukami's cross beat the keeper. It began a theme with goals from Oriol Riera and Steven Lustica coming from assists from out wide. Mark Bridge completed the scoring with an injury time penalty.

BLACKTOWN CITY 3 - 1 APIA Leichhardt Tigers

In an extremely physical match, Blacktown City secured their second consecutive FFA Cup quarter final berth with a 3-1 win over fellow Sydney side APIA Leichhardt Tigers. The Tigers opened the scoring through Jordan Murray after 13 minutes. Blacktown leveled the scores 10 minutes later through Joey Gibbs.

After the break, Mitchell Mallia put Blacktown ahead with a powerful header before Joey Gibbs added his second goal of the game, capitalising on an incredible through pass which split the Leichhardt defence.

Hakoah Sydney City East 2 - 3 MELBOURNE CITY

It was a battle between goalkeeper brothers Dean and Anthony Bouzanis, but it was big brother Dean who emerged victorious. Melbourne City dominated possession over their NPL opponents 70-30 could only come away with a 3-2 win over a spirited Hakoah side.

Michael Jakobsen opened the scoring with a close range header on eight minutes, but it was cancelled out by Andre De Jong two minutes later, scoring a powerful header after finding himself unmarked in the box. Nicholas Fitzgerald put Melbourne back ahead with a simple tap-in after a goal line scramble. It took until just after the hour before City scored again, this time through substitute Denis Genreau who beat the keeper at the near post after the free kick took a deflection off the wall.

The quarter final fixtures have already been decided with a mouthwatering rematch of last year's FFA Cup final between Sydney FC and Melbourne City headlining the next round. It is the only fixture between two A-League clubs.

In another entertaining fixture, the Wanderers have been drawn against Blacktown City in what is certain to be a fiery western Sydney derby.

Heidelberg United will host Adelaide United and South Melbourne will travel to Queensland to play Gold Coast City.