LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 12: The Premier League ball is seen prior to the Premier League match between Watford and Liverpool at Vicarage Road on August 12, 2017 in Watford, England. (Photo by Dan Mullan/Getty Images)

The coronavirus has led to the suspension of major football leagues across Europe and the world as well as placing international competitions and matches in doubt.

The English Premier League has been postponed until at least April 3, as well as all leagues in England due to the virus threat.

The English Football League has released a statement which read as followed:

"The FA, Premier League, EFL and Barclays FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship have collectively agreed to postpone the professional game in England until 3 April at the earliest.”

"This action, which will be kept under constant review, has been taken due to the increasing numbers of Clubs taking steps to isolate their players and staff because of the COVID-19 virus.”

"The postponements include all matches in the Championship, League One and League Two, as well as all Academy and youth team fixtures.”

"In addition, clubs are being advised to suspend indefinitely all non-essential activities which include, but are not limited to, player appearances, training ground visits and fan meetings.”

The Premier League also announced that there are plans to make up the missing games as soon as possible.

"Despite the challenges, it is the Premier League’s aim is to reschedule the displaced fixtures, including those played by Academy sides, when it is safe to do so."

As well as the EPL, other major European leagues such as Italy’s Serie A, Spanish La Liga, German Bundesliga as well as UEFA Champions League and Europa Leagues have also been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The Australian A-League will continue however, with games set to be played behind closed doors for the near future. Melbourne Victory and Wellington Phoenix will miss at least the next two weeks though, due to having to self-quarantine after coming back to Australia from New Zealand after their match on Sunday afternoon.