MALACCA, MALAYSIA - OCTOBER 05: Aaron Mooy of Australia in action during the 2018 FIFA World Cup Asian Playoff match between Syria and the Australia Socceroos at Hang Jebat Stadium on October 5, 2017 in Malacca, Malaysia. (Photo by Stanley Chou/Getty Images)

This is it for Graham Arnold's Socceroos and for Denmark at the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

A win or draw for the Socceroos will likely put them through to the Round of 16 for just the second time ever, the only other time being in 2006.

It will still depend on the Tunisia vs France result but any point will likely be enough for the Socceroos.

The current table sees France at the top with six points with a positive four goal difference, Australia second with three points with a negative two goal difference, Denmark are third with a negative one goal difference and Tunisia sit fourth with a negative one goal difference.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 11: Aaron Mooy of Australia runs with the ball during the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier match between the Australian Socceroos and Japan at Etihad Stadium on October 11, 2016 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Robert Cianflone/Getty Images)

The world number ten nation Denmark will be big favourites over world number 38 Australia despite their underwhelming results from their two games. Denmark additionally are big favourites seen according to Transfermarkt who have an estimated squad transfer value of $545,000,000 AUD compared to the Socceroos $57,000,000 AUD.

Australia statistically on paper have a 13% win probability, 22% draw probability and a 65% loss probability.

Head-to-head Australia and Denmark have played four times. Three of which were international friendly games and once at the last World Cup.

Previous games:

Australia 1-3 Denmark – 2007

Australia 1-0 Denmark – 2010

Australia 0-2 Denmark – 2012

Australia 1-1 Denmark – 2018

Points tally: Australia 4, Denmark 7.

Injury News:

Australia missed Nathaniel Atkinson against Tunisia with an ankle problem and remains in doubt for Denmark. Martin Boyle is out for the whole tournament. As for Denmark they are without Thomas Delaney who was withdrawn for a knee injury with Simon Kjær missing their clash with France with a thigh issue and will likely be back for the game with the Socceroos.

Previous line-ups:

Australia – Mat Ryan, Fran Karacic, Kye Rowles, Harry Souttar, Aziz Behich, Jackson Irvine, Aaron Mooy, Riley McGree, Mathew Leckie, Craig Goodwin, Mitchell Duke.

Denmark – Kasper Schmeichel, Joachim Anderson, Andreas Christensen, Victor Nelsson, Rasmus Kristensen, Joakim Mæhle, Christen Eriksen, Pierre Højbjerg, Jesper Lindstrøm, Mikkel Damsgaard, Andreas Cornelius.

The talking points and tactics 

Australia's main tactical approach against Tunisia particularly in attack looked to play in a 4-4-2 formation with Riley McGree pushing up as a supporting striker with Mitchell Duke.

Australia tried to deliver crosses into the target man Mitchell Duke and once successful with a 1-0 lead, looked to play on the counterattack attempting to preserve the lead.

As for Denmark, they will play a similar shape to Tunisia with Atalanta's Mæhle and Leeds Kristensen overlapping as wingbacks. The main difference between Denmark and Tunisia will be the creative quality.

The quality of their crossing and shooting will cause Australia more problems. With the likes of Eriksen, Damsgaard, Lindstrøm, Skov Olsen and Jensen all being very technically gifted. This can be seen against France in their last game with Denmark having 52% possession, and with higher passing accuracy than France at 86% from 528 passes.

I think it is very likely to see a recurring tactic from this World Cup of Australia trying to get an early goal.

If that fails in the first half an hour, we will look to hold onto a draw. This may not be the approach, but it is likely and is a dangerous tactic banking on Tunisia not beating France who will likely rotate their side.

Australia conceding first is not a massive deal as it will probably result in Australia being attack-minded and Denmark sitting back and counterattacking.

What will happen is Denmark will have clear cut chances just as Tunisia did. Meaning the defenders will need to throw themselves in front of everything like Souttar showed against Tunisia. At the other end the attackers will need to be creative and clinical to get a result.

The game against Tunisia was a first Aussie clean sheet in the World Cup since 1974. Therefore back-to-back clean sheets seems like an incredibly difficult task. Therefore, it is likely that Australia will face some serious adversity possibly conceding. The key is defence and if Denmark do score, ensuring the margin remains at just one goal.

Prediction

Drawing with Denmark at the last World Cup will give the team some confidence despite Denmark's high rank. The best bet is to push for that early goal, make changes if things aren't working, back ourselves in front of goal and to be defensively organised. It will be an uphill battle, but this could be a monumental moment in Australian sporting history.

Have to back the Aussies for history, Australia 1-1 Denmark. Australia faces some serious pressure but stays in the contest and will score a dramatic equaliser.

The Socceroos face Denmark Thursday December 1 at 2:00 am AEDT for a shot at Round of 16 football.